Independent Living Skills (ILS)
HealthMax Home Health Care Works to Help Develop Skills
Independent Living Skills (ILS) is direct training from a staff person to address the identified skill development needs of a person in the areas of communication skills, community living and mobility, interpersonal skills, reduction/elimination of maladaptive behavior, self-care, and sensory/motor development involved in acquiring functional skills.
Assistance and supervision may occur during the delivery of ILS training services, however, training must be the primary service provided.
ILS training must be provided in either the person’s home or community settings typically used by the general public.
The following are examples of ILS training provided in the person’s home and/or community setting:
- Learning how to cook in the person’s kitchen
- Learning how to deposit money by going to a bank or ATM
- Using the bus system to learning how to ride a bus
Our Independent Living Skills Trainers
Independent Living Skills trainers will work with the QP, client, and Case Manager to design the methods, materials, and settings used to provide ILS training to meet the following outcomes:
- Increase the person’s independence by teaching skills so tasks and activities can be performed with decreased dependence on caregivers
- Increase the person’s opportunities to interact with people without disabilities who are not paid caregivers
- Provide daily schedules, routines, environments, and interactions similar to those of people without disabilities of the same chronological age
- Provide skill training in an environment where the skill will be used
- Support the development of decision-making skills and informed choices in all aspects of daily living, including the selection of service providers, goals and methods, location and decor of residence, roommates, daily routines, leisure activities, and personal possessions
Transportation and Errands
HealthMax policy allows for ILS trainers to transport clients if transportation is essential for the completion of the goal and it is included in the Care Plan. ILS is not designed as a transportation service. ILS trainers employed by HealthMax will transport the client and assist them or guide them in completing a task related to a goal they are working on.